Dr M: I had my say
PUTRAJAYA: Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said he was satisfied with the private meeting he had with Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi on Sunday because he was able to have his say.
Dr Mahathir said he fulfilled his intention to pour out what was in his heart over issues he had raised against Abdullah in recent months.
However, the former Prime Minister said he would continue to criticise the current administration if he felt “anything done is not good for the country.”
Dr Mahathir said he had raised various matters including the crooked bridge, the Approved Permits issue, International Trade and Industry Minister Datuk Seri Rafidah Aziz and Proton.
He, however, said Abdullah did not respond to all that he (Dr Mahathir) had raised during the meeting, including about the cancelled crooked bridge project.
“I can't say I am happy (with the meeting) but I am satisfied that I have been able to say these things directly to him. People say that I have been making comments from outside but now I have seen him.”
Dr Mahathir said he spoke for one hour and 30 minutes and Abdullah, who jotted everything down in a little notebook, spoke for 30 minutes.
He said that Abdullah had touched on a few issues such as allegations against his son Kamaluddin and son-in-law Khairy Jamaluddin, whom Dr Mahathir had criticised as being too influential.
“He said it is not right – this accusation, that they ring up people and all that is not true. But he wants to find out from them whether they did or not,” he said.
On how Abdullah reacted when he said he would continue criticising if necessary, Dr Mahathir said Abdullah did not say anything.
The prime minister, he said, told him that because of his actions to publicly criticise Abdullah and his administration, he (Dr Mahathir) had become very unpopular and his actions had also affected Abdullah's popularity.
“He said that the people who benefited from all this was Anwar Ibrahim and Nik Aziz, who have become more popular,” said Dr Mahathir.
Dr Mahathir said he would wait and see what would happen after the meeting and “if there will be changes or not.”
The meeting, he said, ended cordially with both shaking hands before parting.
I guess I was wrong in the final bolded part there. Read the below conversation in Malay for larger context.
Bernama even published a chronology of events leading to the meeting yesterday:
It all started when the former premier raised several issues, including the issuance of approved permits and the fate of national car manufacturer, Proton.
The government's explanations failed to satisfy Dr Mahathir.
The conflict heightened after Abdullah on April 12 announced the cancellation of the bridge project to replace the Johor Causeway.
Following are the chronology of events after the bridge project was scrapped.
* April 27 - Dr Mahathir gave a 16-point reasoning for the bridge's construction after he could not accept the government's reasoning for calling off the project.
* May 14 - Dr Mahathir said his opinion differed with the government's only on the bridge's cancellation.
* May 28 - Abdullah met Dr Mahathir in Tokyo but no issues were discussed.
* June 9 - Dr Mahathir criticised Abdullah's administration and said that he was only seeking answers to his earlier questions.
* July 14 - Dr Mahathir hurled allegations over the cancellation of the bridge project, forcing the government to declassify several confidential documents and made them public.
* July 19 - Abdullah said he had no problems with Dr Mahathir despite the latter's criticisms.
* July 25 - Dr Mahathir admitted that Malacca Yang di-Pertua Negeri Tun Khalil Yaakob met him. Khalil was said to be the mediator between Abdullah and Dr Mahathir.
* July 28 - There were talks that Dr Mahathir wanted to be prime minister again but he flatly denied this.
* July 28 - Dr Mahathir was attacked by pepper spray on his visit to Kelantan.
* Aug 8 - Dr Mahathir again denied talks that he was eyeing the prime minister's post.
* Aug 9 - Dr Mahathir said he would continue to seek answers from the government, two days after Abdullah appeared in a television interview to refute allegations of nepotism and cronyism.
* Aug 11 - Perak Ex-Elected Reps Association (Mubarak) planned to arrange a meeting between Abdullah and Dr Mahathir to settle their differences.
* Aug 13 - Abdullah refused to comment on a remark by Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Aziz that Dr Mahathir's incessant attacks on the government were aimed at bringing him down.
* Sept 11 - Dr Mahathir, who failed in his bid to be a Kubang Pasu Umno division delegate to the party's general assembly in November, blamed it on corruption.
* Sept 12 - Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak asked Dr Mahathir to lodge a complaint with the Umno disciplinary committee on his allegation of corruption in the Kubang Pasu election.
* Oct 18 - Abdullah and Dr Mahathir agreed to meet before Aidilfitri.
* Oct 22 - They met at the prime minister's official residence in Putrajaya.
UPDATED: So, they finally met, with the contents of discussion unknown.
Read more here.
Read more here.
Did CNN Talk Asia purposely postponed M's interview to give way for this 'Most Awaited Reality Event of the Year'?
Since the auspicious Eid-ul Fitri is just a couple of days away and as I look into my crystal ball, I would like to flex my Bee Emm skills here with a conversation essay. Any similarity is purely co-incidental. Names have been abbreviated and censored to protect the innocent.
AB: Assalamualaikum, Tun. Duduk, Tun. Duduk.
M: Waalaikumussalam. Duk, duk. Aper macam, Pak? Lame tak jumpa dah.
AB: Alhamdullilah, sihat walafiat, Tun. Tun pun nampak ceria hari ni.
M: Lama tak jumpa kawan lama, tentulah ceria. Amacam keluarga, Pak? Sihat? Menantu sihat?
AB: Sihat, sihat. Tun beraya kat mane tahun ni.
M: Kat ***. Persiapan raye cammane? Siap?
AB: Siap, siap.
M: Jadi, apa Pak nak bincang hari ni? Saya datang ni dengan dada yang lapang and hati terbuka. Apapun boleh bisa bincang.
AB: Cukuplah, Tun. Pak tak nak gaduh dah. Tak baik untuk silaturrahim. Terus-teranglah dengan saya, Tun. Aper yang tak puas hati sangat tu. Pak nikan Tun yang pilih. Aper yang Tun pesan, Pak pun dah buat sedaya upaya.
M: Ni, aku terus teranglah, Pak. Yang aku tak puas hati ni, pasai si menantu tu. Maner anak aku nak diri ni? Budak tu dah ambil banyak tempat dah. Rasa 'crowded' lah, Pak!
AB: Kan aku dah cakap kat TV, menantu aku tu, kenalah cari makan. Terus-teranglah, Tun, bapak maner yang tak sayangkan anak. N**i tu...[mengeluh]
M: Aper pasai dengan N**i? Menantu ko tu gatai kat sana nak kahwin M**a, jangan nak aku kesian kat awak.
AB: Kita pun lelaki, lah, Tun. Ni, aku dah sound banyak kali dah kat dia, nu, saham tu kan dah jual. Pantai pun dah kembali.
M: Cakap pasai LKY dan C**a kat seberang tu, dah nak bengang aku. Apesai budak tu kamcheng sangat dengan dia orang tu. Aku tak suka.
AB: Aper nak buat, Tun. Mereka kata 'you suka bina, you punya pasai'. Nanti bawak kita ke mahkamah tak elok pulak tu. Nu, orang dah mula gelak pasai bengkok tu.
M: Aper bengkok, bengkok, INDAH, lah! Ni, aku kata Pak ni lembut sangat lah. Kasi muka sangat kat [censored] tu.
AB: Aku ni kan Tun yang pilih, bagilah aku can sikit. Tu, aku kater kat TV tu, tak sampai 10 minit aku turun main bola, orang dah hukum saya.
M: Pasai jambatan tu tak aper, yang aku lebih berang ni pasai anak emas dan satu lagi 'anak emas' tu. Tell me lar, apa dosa aku ko nak hapus dua tu? Aper dosa ku?
AB: Ish, tak baik cakap cam tu. Pasai rAPi*** ni, mulut laser tu tak boleh tutup. Gara-gara dialah tak tau sorok 'business' dia tu, lepas tu nak caci Tun kata anak ader berlambak AP lar...
M: Aku masih bengang ni, peluk pun tak leh nak maafkan dia dah...
AB: Pasai 'anak emas' yang satu lagi tu...*mengeluh*...
M: Apesai nak mengeluh, teruk sangatke idea aku dulu. Hmmpphh, tanpa aku dulu, maner anak-anak sekarang nak mendongak kepala? Sebut saya 'anak emas' aku ni, bukan main bangga semua orang!
AB: Zaman sekarang tak sama zaman dulu, Tun. Kerta canggih-canggih sekarang pun berlambak dah. Minyak pun bukan main naik cam-cam lagi...saper nak beli kerta?
M: Ni, cakap pasai anak aku ni. Pembelot! Kan ko dah janji akan tolong tengok dia. Apesai menantu ko tu...bengang lah!!!
AB: Bukan aku sorang je, His*** pun dah mengorak langkah dia...aku tak boleh nak kawal semua lar, Tun, stail aku tak samer cara Tun...tak boleh nak halalkan ape saje...
M: Tak usah terang banyak-banyak. Ko ingat aku ni bodoh ke? Aper ko nak buat dengan si An**r tu? Aku buang dia kat jail ko tu sibuk nak bebaskan dia buat aper??!!!
AB: Kesianlar dia sikit. Sampai bila Tun nak marah kat dia? Longgarkanlah sikit, gigitan tu.
Penutup dan kesimpulan.
M: Tak der makna dah cakap berterusan kat sini. Masa pun dah suntuk dah. Mulut ni aku punya, aper aku nak cakap, aku punya pasai. Tak payah suruh si Ka*i, Br*nd*n dan budak-budak tingkat IV tu nak tutup mulut saya.
AB: Kalo macam tu, suka hatilah, Tun. Aku pun tak kuasa dah. Jawatan ni tetap aku yang punya, catur-catur tu aku pun dah susun. Menantu aku ni aku tetap nak jaga. Tengoklah macam mane nanti.
* M meninggalkan bilik tanpa bersalaman dengan AB*
Sekian, terima kasih.
p.s. This is just a filler post. For those who got it, congrats. For those who couldn't, let's just move on with life, shall we?