Tuesday, October 24, 2006

New Straits Times Is Officially Mahathir's Enemy

Some excerpts of the latest interview transcript, which probably you will never see in New Straits Times or their group-blog:

It is wrong what TV3 reported, saying that I agreed with him that what I had done made me and him unpopular and only Anwar Ibrahim and Nik Aziz benefited. This is what he said, not what I said.


Dr M: I have achieved the objective of telling him in quite substantial detail. I am quite sure that the reports that are in the controlled press, the spin from people like (News Straits Time group editor) Brendan Pereira and (NSTP deputy chairman Datuk) Kalimullah (Hassan) and all that would have given him a completely wrong impression of what I have done.

Now I have the opportunity to tell him as it is, no Brendan in between, no Kalimullah in between.

So to that extent I am satisfied, no “spinning” that things were not going like that. (Makes spinning motion with finger.)


Dr M: I didn’t know about it when I was PM (about the UN oil-for-food programme).

The first time I heard about it was when it was published by the (New) Straits Times that his name appeared there. Subsequently Najib said: “Don’t talk anymore about it.”

And of course there were no more reports about this affair in the Straits Times or any other newspaper.

Recently in the course of writing my memoir, I tried to get hold of the copy of the Straits Times which reported this thing but it seems to have disappeared.

The Berita Harian was there but the copy of the Straits Times has disappeared. Maybe somebody has a copy, can lend it to me.


I know the New Straits Times will have to make some kind of spin about this, TV3 too will have to spin somehow, but fortunately for us that in my time, we have the Internet, so I would advise people to read the Internet and not these newspapers because they are all getting phone calls.


Tomorrow the PM says we won’t build this bridge because Singapore might be upset, immediately the comments from people with pictures, their faces in the Straits Times with comments “We must not build this bridge, It is wrong.” You see the change is fantastic.


Meanwhile, Pak Catit-Buku-Hitam just scored a brownie point from MM Lee.

Oh, another thing which I have discovered. For the blog-group (and their bloggers) worshippers, it seems that you can now comment there.

Terms and conditions apply though, for example, they won't publish what they don't want to hear or want people to hear like this.

Now, what happened to the 'go beyond the traditional print edition and to provide a holistic package to readers' thingy? Seems more like a C&P job to me, which I think is a very taboo word to some of the bloggers there.

Still want to 'Join the fun!'?

Peace and Salam Aidilfitri.

No comments: