Thursday, January 25, 2007

Memorable Quotes From The TV3 To The BBC Badawi on Badawi Interview

Gosh, this is gonna be boring...lotsa quotes and stuff...

On Kamaluddin:

[TV3 interview Aug 7th 2006]

Kamal was never involved in local companies or concessions. No. He never asked any help from the government. Never in anything that needs bail-out


[Bangkok Post interview Dec 12th 2006]

Abdullah said Kamaluddin worked overseas and got some contracts with Petronas through open international tender and also bought some companies which he wanted because of their engineering and machine-tooling capabilities.

"He does not build the company, he goes for mergers and acquisitions. That's his style of business. Although many people have come and asked him to go into joint ventures with government-linked companies, he says 'No, I have enough money, I am rich'," said Abdullah.

From 'never involved in local companies' to 'got some contracts with Petronas' and 'I have enough money, I am rich'.

On KJ:

[TV3 interview Aug 7th 2006]

On Khairy, he said his son-in-law took a loan to buy shares in ECM Libra.

"But, to say he grabbed projects, I've no evidence with me that Khairy has taken government projects," he said, adding that Khairy never met him to ask for projects.


[Bangkok Post interview Dec 12th 2006]

"I did mention that the old man practically smashed Khairy's pot of rice. That's something I am very sad about . He has sold his interest in ECM Libra (an investment bank group). Sold it at a loss. Now he has some debts to settle," said Abdullah.


Just how could 'taking a loan' linked to 'old man smashed pot of rice'? ;)


On the inter-religion/ethnic tensions:

[CNN Talk Asia Interview Oct 14th 2006]

On Singapore founding father Lee Kuan Yew's remark on Sept 15 that Malaysian Chinese are being "systematically marginalised", Abdullah reiterated that it was a groundless allegation.

"Yes, it's groundless. And it is an issue that can cause unhappiness to many people. Why? Some may even regard it as tantamount to interfering with what we are doing.

"The Chinese in Malaysia are doing well. They are better off than the indigenous people, than the Malays," he said.

He said the Malaysian Chinese achieved what they have today because the Government provided them opportunities to be successful.


[BBC Badawi on Badawi Interview 24th Jan 2007]

Abdullah also denied that there was a more aggressive advancement of Islam at the official level and that this was making non-Muslims in the country more uncomfortable.

“No, no – that’s what some believe. But as far as we are concerned, we believe in freedom of worship. This is guaranteed by the (Federal) Constitution. People of other faiths are free to practise their religion in Malaysia, and at the same time we do not marginalise them.

“They participate in the Government because we have a government that shares power among Muslim and non-Muslim – the Hindus, Buddhists and Christians,” he said.

He agreed that some Muslim groups were trying to propagate a more aggressive Islam in Malaysia.

He noted that a political party (PAS) had been talking about setting up an Islamic state, adding that the country had an open electoral system.

“They (PAS) contest the elections. If the non-Muslims want to vote for them it’s up to them,” he added.

From 'groundless accusation' to 'blaming PAS for aggressive Islam'. Nice.

On the Mahathir tussle:

[TV3 interview Aug 7th 2006]

"I chose to keep silence because I do not want to quarrel with Tun in the newspapers. Tun himself had said in a statement he made, he felt hurt because he did not get the information he wanted. He hopes to be informed. If the PM does not speak, let the ministers speak."


[Bangkok Post interview Dec 12th 2006]

"No, no, no, I don't think it's a political suicide. He has been saying a lot of things, I've decided to keep quiet and to go on doing what I want to do.


[BBC Badawi on Badawi Interview 24th Jan 2007]

On Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s criticism of him, Abdullah said the former prime minister had the right to say whatever he wanted, but as the current leader, he (Abdullah) had a government to run.

I have to do whatever is best. The economy is better now. The 9th Malaysia Plan was launched last year, and today it’s gathering momentum.

“Maybe (the criticism is because) we are a little slow and he (Dr Mahathir) is getting impatient,” he added.

"Elegant silence"- from 'I don't want to quarrel, let the ministers speak' to 'I want to do my sweet own things on my sweet own time'.

On 'telling him the truth':

[TV3 interview Aug 7th 2006]

10. Q: You are noted for your clean image here and internationally, but there are talks as if your name has been damaged. How can such situation occur?

A: I don't know how it had happened. Such people are trying to belittle me and make wild accusations. Maybe they are doing so because they have a hidden agenda. If I'm accused of being corrupt, please write and tell all. But these people seemed to only know things and nothing else. That is not sincere.


[Bangkok Post interview Dec 12th 2006]
"You want to speak the truth, by all means, I have no problem. You want to tell me something's wrong somewhere, tell me. Tell the leadership the truth. I am happy for people to help me see things that are not doing well," he added.

Some bloggers have been 'telling him the truth'. But guess what happened?


On his command (or lack thereof):

[TV3 interview Aug 7th 2006]

28. Q: The misperception, from a rumour can turn big. What are the steps that should be taken? As a leader you need to think about a powerful formula

A: I felt that if I play football for less that 10 minutes, people should not punish me. My style is different from Dr Mahathir's style. I don't run away from the Vision 2020 in view of the current situation, the escalating oil prices. So I have to choose my style and I am responsible for what I have chosen. People say that I do things as Khairy says. There is no such thing. How can I suffer for so many years in politics until I become the Prime Minister and then surrender my power to him?


[Bangkok Post interview Dec 12th 2006]

"And the people want me to do what I want to do. And I have and I still command majority support today"


[BBC Badawi on Badawi Interview 24th Jan 2007]

PM: I’ll run in next elections

KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi wants to run in the next general election and continue leading the country.

“I think so. I think so. There is a lot of work to be done. There is a lot of work. Yes,” the Prime Minister said when asked if he still had the appetite for the job and planned to contest in the next elections, expected in 2009.

From 'Baru 10 minit turun padang main bola sudah mau hukum saya' to 'I still command majority support' to the most recent 'I'll run in next elections'. And not to mention various quotes such as 'I am not a one-term PM' etc. Do you sense something?

Gosh, I'm so bloody good at this I could be political editor

Malaysia Mudah Lupa. Always remember these quotes.

No comments: