Friday, May 30, 2008

Two CSIs Got Spirited Away By The Ghost of Altantuya?

After the tremor, here's another one.

Two CSIs lost for 45mins at Altantuya murder sceneMaria J.Dass

SHAH ALAM (May 29, 2008): Two Crime Scene Investigators (CSI) were lost for almost 45 minutes in the thick foliage of a secondary jungle in the Empangan Tasik Subang catchment area during a spot assignment today.

C/Insp Nizam Husain and Sgt Ismail Abdul Rahman were assigned to measure the distance between the "seat of explosion" where Mongolian Altantuya Shaariibuu was blown up and the police beat base below the hill.

The duo were part of the CSI team which had accompanied Judge Mohd Zaki Md Yasin, prosecutors and defence lawyers to the crime scene to determine its distance from a police beat base below the hill and also from the nearest village this morning.

The High Court had revisited the Altantuya Shaariibuu murder scene to determine distances from the crime scene from the police beat base and the nearest village, upon an application by first accused C/Insp Azilah Hadri’s counsel Datuk Hazman Ahmad yesterday.

It was the second visit to the scene by the court which first visited the scene last July 18 so that everyone could get a clear picture of what it was like during the proceedings.

Judge Mohd Zaki Md Yasin had allowed the application to revisit the site to measure the distance between the Empangan Tasik Subang police beat base and the crime scene atop a hill, following dubious distance measurement given by auxiliary policeman Mustafa Umat, 39.

Mustafa who had testified that the distance was 1km, had on being "tested" in court, estimated the distance between the witness stand and a lift outside the courtroom as 500m, when it is only about 20m away.

The determination of the distances are essential as investigating officer ASP Tonny Lunggan had said that two auxiliary policemen on duty on the night of Oct 19, 2006, the night Altantuya was murdered, had claim they did not notice any unusual incidents, althought they had heard many "fireworks" explosions that night as it was during the Hari Raya and Deepavali festivities.

Azilah, 32, a Police Special Action Unit (UTK) officer and his colleague Cpl Sirul Azhar Umar, 37 are charged with murdering Mongolian Altantuya Shaariibuu, 28, in Mukim Bukit Raja between 10pm on Oct 19 and 1am on Oct 20, 2006. Political analyst Abdul Razak Baginda is charged with abetting them.

Mohd Zaki, court officers, the three accused, prosecutors, lawyers and police escorts left the courthouse at 9.45am and took a little more than an hour to visit the beat base and the crime scene near a jungle clearing.

After completing the visit by 10.50am, the hearing resumed at noon.

Earlier, Mustafa had the court in stitches when he was asked to describe the difference between the sounds of "meriam buloh" and rocket fireworks.

"Chuuuuuuuuuuuuuug!" he replied when asked to describe the sound of the rocket, adding that the sound of "meriam buloh" is loud and that he heard such sounds and rocket fireworks many times after 9.30pm on the night of Oct 19, 2006.

Police forensic unit head Supt Amidon Anan Amidon who was recalled as a prosecution witness said during the visit investigating officer ASP Tonny Lunggan had asked him to calculate the distance between the "seat of explosion" and guard house via the secondary jungle.

He then narrated how he, Nizam and Ismail had gone into the secondary jungle to calculate the distances, leading to Nizam and Ismail getting lost, until they were reunited later.

After hearing Amidon's narration, Mohd Zaki quipped: "Hazman should have gone in since it was he who wanted to know (the distance" to which Hazman replied that he had wanted to abandon the idea but it was Abdul Razak's lawyer Wong Kian Keong who wanted to continue.

Updated: 07:10PM Thu, 29 May 2008

No comments: