Sunday June 22, 2008 MYT 8:45:33 PM
Cops investigating Raja Petra’s allegations
By LOURDES CHARLES
KUALA LUMPUR: The police will be calling up Malaysia Today editor Raja Petra Kamaruddin to investigate his allegations in a recent statutory declaration, which touched on purported facts related to the ongoing Altantuya Shaariibuu trial.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan said the three individuals named in the document filed at the High Court here on June 18 would also be called up.
Raja Petra had claimed that these individuals, one a prominent VIP, were present when Altantuya was killed on Oct 19, 2006.
Copies of the statutory declaration, filed on June 18, have been posted online by bloggers.
In his two-paged statutory declaration, Raja Petra said he had been “reliably informed” of the presence of these individuals at the murder.
Musa said that the matter could be subjudice as the Altantuya murder trial was on going.
Accused of the murder are C/Insp Azilah Hadri and Kpl Sirul Azhar Umar of the Unit Tindakan Khas (Special Action Unit). Accused of abetting them is political analyst Abdul Razak Baginda.
Musa said the allegations made by Raja Petra were “highly defamatory” and if found to be untrue, those making the allegations would have to face the consequences.
Meanwhile, the Attorney-General’s Chambers has filed a police report against Raja Petra over the statutory declaration.
Attorney-General Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patil said, “We want to investigate it as we want the truth. As far as I am concerned, we have to look it seriously.”
“If it’s true, we will act accordingly. If not, the writer will be investigated,’’ he said, adding that the report was lodged in Putrajaya on Saturday.
For the record, here's the Statutory Declaration by RPK again:
I, RAJA PETRA BIN RAJA KAMARUDIN (IC No: 500927-71-5257), a Malaysian citizen of legal age residing at No. 5, Jalan BRP 5/5, BuKit Rahman Putra, 47000 Sungai Buloh, Selangor Darul Ehsan, do solemnly and sincerely affirm and say as follows:-
1. I have been reliably informed that between about 10 p.m. on 19th October 2006 and early hours of the following day, the night Altantuya Shaariibuu was murdered, three (3) other people were also present at the scene of the crime;
(a) Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor, wife of the Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia, Dato’ Seri Najib Tun Razak
(b) Acting Colonel Aziz Buyong (then Lt. Col.) a C4 expert
(c) Acting Colonel Aziz’s wife, Norhayati (one of Rosmah’s ADC)
2. My informer states that Acting Colonel Aziz Buyong was the person who placed the C4 on various parts of Altantuya’s body while being witnessed by Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor and Norhayati.
3. I make this Statutory Declaration because I have been reliably informed about the involvement of these three people who have thus far not been implicated in the murder nor called as witnesses by the prosecution in the on going trial at the Shah Alam High Court. I also make this Statutory Declaration because I am aware that it is a crime not to reveal evidence that may help the police in its investigation of the crime.
4. I have further been reliably informed that Prime Minister, Dato Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi has received a written report from the Military Intelligence confirming what I have revealed above and that the report was subsequently handed over to his son-in-law, Khairy Jamaluddin, for safe-keeping.
5. I have also been reliably informed that one of the Rulers has been briefed about this matter and His Highness is fully aware of what I have revealed above.
6. I have knowledge of who has informed me of this matter plus I have knowledge of the Ruler who has been briefed and is aware of the matter but I have agreed that I shall not reveal this information other than mention that the Prime Minister and his son-in-law have been handed a written report confirming what I have revealed.
7. The purpose of this Statutory Declaration is to urge all these parties who have been duly informed and have knowledge of this matter to come forward to reveal the truth so that the police are able to conduct a proper and thorough investigation into the murder of Altantuya Shaariibuu.
And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the provisions of the Statutory Declaration Act, 1960.
SUBSCRIBED and SOLEMNLY DECLARED )
by the abovenamed RAJA PETRA BIN RAJA KAMARUDIN )
at Makhamah Tinggi Kuala Lumpur )
this 18th day of June 2008 )