Malaysia frees Sri Lankan in nuclear parts case
Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:52pm IST
KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Malaysia has freed a Sri Lankan businessman suspected to be the middleman in a nuclear parts network run by Pakistan's disgraced top nuclear scientist, security and government officials said on Sunday.
Buhary Syed Abu Tahir was released after four years in detention. He had been held under Malaysia's tough Internal Security Act (ISA), allows authorities to detain suspects without charges or trial indefinitely.
Tahir, accused by Washington of helping Pakistani Abul Qadeer Khan to sell illicit nuclear technology, had been in detention since 2004 after a police report detailing his involvement in the nuclear black market scandal.
"Mr BSA Tahir has been released from Kamunting in the last few days," a government official told Reuters, referring to a detention camp in northern Malaysia.
Dozens of suspected militants are being held at the camp.
A regional security official confirmed Tahir had been released earlier this month.
"But he's been placed under restricted residence and that he has to report to the police station weekly," the official said on condition of anonymity.
Malaysia's Home (Interior) Minister Syed Hamid Albar could not be immediately reached for comment.
Khan has been kept under house arrest in Islamabad since 2004.
Still admired by many Pakistanis as the father of the country's atomic bomb, Khan confessed on television in early 2004 to selling nuclear secrets to Iran, North Korea and Libya.
But in recent interviews he has recanted, saying that he only took the blame in return for assurances by President Pervez Musharraf's government that were never honoured.
And the other one is ex-Papa's bff...
June 23, 2008 14:14 PM
Isa Samad's Six-year Suspension From Umno Ends Today
KUALA LUMPUR, June 23 ((Bernama) -- The six- year suspension slapped on former Umno vice-president Tan Sri Mohamed Isa Abdul Samad for money politics ends today.
An elated former Negeri Sembilan Mentri Besar said he received a letter from the Umno headquarters on Friday informing him on the expiry of his suspension period.
Isa, who won the Umno vice-president's post in the 2004 party elections, was found guilty of the charge. His suspension took effect on June 24, 2005.
"I thanked God and only smiled when I received the letter," he told Bernama.
Asked whether he would make a comeback to active politics including vying for a post in the Umno elections in December, Mohamed Isa, who was Negeri Sembilan Mentri Besar from 1982 to 2004, said he has not made any decision.
"I'm still thinking about my next move," he said.
The Umno Disciplinary Board suspended Isa, 58, for two terms or six years after finding him guilty on five of the nine charges of money politics during the 2004 party election.
Isa emerged top for the vice-president's post for the 2004/2007 term, garnering 1,507 votes, ahead of Melaka Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Ali Rustam and the then Agriculture and Agro-based Industry Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin (now International Trade and Industry Minister).
Following the guilty verdict, Isa was suspended from all party posts including as Negeri Sembilan Umno chief and Teluk Kemang division head.
Isa's suspension was reduced from six to three years upon his appeal on July 6, 2005.
He resigned as Federal Territory Minister on Oct 17, 2005 following his suspension from Umno.
The real ISA detainees? Fat chance!